14 May 2009

Star Trek. . . .yeah yeah, I know it ain't zombie related, but I'm a trekkie for fuckssakes.








This is essentially a copy and paste of a post I put up on my Yahoo group site that I belong to with some close friends of mine, with modifications as to names and things. . .here goes:

As far as the new Star Trek movie is concerned, for a die-hard TOS fan such as
myself, and I think I speak for THE GM and NTTS BRAIN per our discussion of the movie,
I rate it a 7 out of 10.

The film has to be taken objectively, and in doing so I put myself in the shoes
of those that have never seen any Star Trek tv series or movies. In that
regard, it was an entertaining movie with great special effects (the fight
scenes were poorly shot and seemed very cheap. The close shots and quick cuts
of the fight scenes, mentioned by THE GM, made me believe that they didn't want
to spend a lot of time choreographing the fights.

The visual effects were stunning, bright, sharp, and sexy.

As a trekkie fan however, the movie didn't quite meet my expectations. In my
opinion, none of the movies compare to Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan. There
was no continuity, but that was clearly stated in the reviews of the movie, so I
had to swallow this as an "Alternate Reality of the Star Trek Universe."

In that regard, I have to say that the movie was good but not great. I didn't
walk away with that "feel good" feeling that I normally have with great movies.
Of course, my version of great is obviously far different than any of yours. My
perception isn't based on a heightened sense of spirituality, a high IQ, a
liberal attitude, a happy-go-lucky personality, a
workaholic-who-just-wants-to-relax-and-see-a-movie sort of view, or a Star Trek
Next Generation fan. My perception is based on growing up watching William
Shatner and Leonard Nimoy and the rest of the crew of the old,
cheap-effect-looking starship running around and saving the universe.

Did the old series effects bother me? Not a bit. Because the characters were
believable and made me feel good after watching it.

This new movie is a movie for the NOW generation. Anyone that says that it is a
movie for everyone is HIGHLY mistaken. I like continuity and memorable
characters and references back to the old days.

I compare this movie to guns:

The old series is a reliable .45 Officers model. No special sights, no fancy
shmancy parts, nothing but proof in the quality of it's performance. A weapon
that has aged well and can appeal to everyone from the target shooter to the
combat handgunner.

The newer films are like race guns. High Tech, fancy, expensive, and meant for
one purpose, a target. In the case of this movie, I felt the target was a
certain age group and type of movie viewer. It doesn't appeal to everyone
necessarily but it is entertaining nevertheless.

Will I buy it on Blu-ray? Surely. Do I place it in the all time greats of
science fiction? Eh...probably not.

Although Uhura looked damn fine.

(All pictures gathered off of FLICKR from random peoples, sorry I didn't write down the names of who I grabbed them from)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Zombie Soundboard

Night of the Living Dead Soundboard

28 Days Later Soundboard